Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Birthday and Deiciocho

Somehow I am 32 years old.  It's amazing so much time has passed. Sometimes it feels like ages, sometimes it feels like no time. It doesn't seem that long ago I was driving across the country in my little Chevy Metro with all my stuff, heading for the unknown, and missing the past life of living in London.  During that week I became addicted to the feeling of journeying to somewhere new, with no plans or agenda.  San Francisco  was still the US, and my bigger dream was to live outside the US.  I didn't know exactly how to do this: Peace Corp, volunteering, teaching English, etc.  I didn't know any resources I could ask: How's the best way to get out of the country?  Also, like all obedient Americans, I thought I had to work, and a lot of money was required to do anything.
I knew I wanted to leave the country permanently, as well, so I didn't consider any short term opportunities.  However, now I'm teaching English, it's not so bad.  Yes, I have to go back to the States, but I know of so many other ways to keep getting out now.  Which leads me to another reflection lately, in the midst of turning 32: I wish I could stay young and travel for ten more years.  I have only just found this sense of freedom and courage to take opportunity, that I want more time to enjoy it.  There are such amazing volunteer programs, there are other places to teach English, and there are things like running hostels, or other tourism related businesses.
But after our months traveling, we are heading back to the States.  Jesse wants to get a Masters in History, and I want to apply myself to something academic as well, either a teaching certificate, or a Masters in Literature.  A PhD. in the future? I'm not sure. We'll see how the Masters goes.
The dream is still to live outside the States, and if I get desperate, I know of some quicker options now.

On my birthday Jesse and I went with our friend Boz to watch Chile play Italy in the Davis Cup.  It was great fun, the Chilean fans were so loud, banging drums, blowing horns.  Italy won the first match by a hair, and in the second match the Chilean player hurt himself and forfeited.  I can't remember watching live professional tennis, and it was tons of fun! Then we went to our favorite lunch spot, Cafe del Opera, and had soup and sandwiches and ice cream.  That evening, we just watched a movie because it was going to be a long weekend!



September 18th is the independence day in Chile.  It's when the leaders in the area first met to discuss creating a republic and breaking away from Spain in 1817.  And they celebrate it like crazy here!  All day and night there are "fondas" (kind of like fairs) in the major public parks.  The focus at the fondas is on meat.  Tons of meat on sticks, sausages, ribs, chicken.  It's astonishing!  Then there are the Chilean drinks called Terremoto and chicha - mixtures of wine, juice, ice cream.  We went on Saturday and Monday. On Sunday, we went to our friend David's parents house.  His wife Leslie's parents and sister were also there. It was much like a July 4th celebration, and was really fun.  At one point they all sang the national anthem!  My Spanish was very much put to the test and I spent a lot of the afternoon with no idea what was being said. 

Meat at the fonda

2 comments: